Do you know this old saying "If you want something done right, do it yourself"? I do and sometimes I just live according to it. Not always, I'm not crazy, but at least from time to time!
I fly 7-inch FPV drones a lot. To be honest, they are my favorite flying devices. There are a few good 7-inch frames, like TBS Source One for example. There is a difference between good and great tho. I do think that Source One is a good frame, there are a lot of things on it that do not make me very happy tho! The list might not be very long, but it is relevant:
- props in the view
- limited space to install split-like hybrid cameras
- no very convinient place to install VTX
- it's not that big inside as one might imagine…
Because of that, and because I think I know how to do it (I'm an engineer) I've devided to design and manufacture my of 7-inch FPV drone frame that would fix what I do not like in Source One.
This is how Pirx Seven was born!
- Dead Cat configuration
- Plenty of space inside for everything you want! There is even a place in the back to fit the whole 30x30mm stack!
- Place for Split-like hybrid camera in the front
- Attachable mounts for antennas, GPS and other accessories
- Clear, unobstructed view for HD camera like GoPro on the front deck
So far, I was able to mill a prototype unit to test it in flight. So far so good, I really have to say that I like what I designed.
Fully assembled frame weight 205g with steel screws and aluminium standoffs.
What next? Test flight and some changes. The full list consists of 12 points in total and basically means that I will have to redesign almost everything…
If you want to know why the name and what does Pirx stands for, here is the answer. It's a tribute to Polish writer Stanisław Lem and his book Tales of Pirx the Pilot.