China is a magical place where you can order almost anything. The only question is the quality of what you get. Sometimes it's good and sometimes, well… not so much. Over here I will be publishing short descriptions and links to things I think are worth to buy. Best value for the price. All the products I recommend over here I own or owned at one point and they are not sponsored. I just think they are good enough to pay for them since I paid for them and did not regret that decision.
Before we proceed, most of the link out there are affiliate links! That means if you order something I recommend over here, I might get a small commision from the shop. It costs you nothing but helps me to test and review cooler (or not) things for you.
7-inch FPV frames
- Alfa Monster 7-inch 275mm – Surprisingly good and still cheap 7-inch frame. Thick strong and stiff arms together with the well made middle section. Not the most spacious inside, but all components fit just fine.
- AlfaRC Fighter – another nice surprise from China. Much more space inside than in case of Alfa Monster. Suited rather for mid-range cruiser than freestyle kwad. Can be a nice replacement for TBS SourceOne
Motors for 5" kwads
- iFlight Xing-E 2208 2450KV – I had no idea 5" motors can have so much torque! I love 2450KV version on my 4S freestyle Armattan Marmotte with Ethix S3 props. And those motors are surprisingly efficient as well… Availabe on Banggood and Aliexpress
- EMAX RS2205S – one of the classics that changed the hobby and 230KV version is still worth it. Reliable design with a lot of torque to drive 5-inch propellers. Available on Banggood and Aliexpress
- T-Motor F60 – 4S racing or freestyle? This one will bring enough speed and torque to do the job. Available on Banggood and Aliexpress
- FB2204 – have you ever wondered how cheap RC mini kwad motor can be? $4 for a piece for example… It's not special but it works. Great for experimental designs or when the cost is the most importand factor. Available on Gearbest
Motors for 7" drones
Big propeller = big motor. Forget about putting motors designed to work with 5" propellers on 7-inch frames. Even if KV is right, 2205-2207 motor will just not have enough torque to accelerate propeller quick enough. 7-inchers require something bigger!
- ION Raaange 2506 1250KV – Great smooth motors! 1250KV and 7-inch propeller makes a great cruiser on 4S or ultimate freestyler on 6S. Get it from Amazon or Aliexpress
- Brotherhobby 2507 Avenger V2 – Avenger V2 is a monster that 7-inch quadcopter drones will love. Comes in various KV variants and delivers an incredible amount of torque in every one of them. 1200KV version will make a good cruiser on 4S or freestyle kwad on 6S. 1750KV and 4S make great freestyler while 1500KV seems like a good compromise between torque and efficiency. Available at Banggood
- Racestar BR2508S 1275KV – 7-inch long range on a budget? Those are not the best motors ever but neither the less, they work and that's what counts. No problems to spin even heaviest 7-inch propellers. Available at Banggood
- Matek F722-SE probably the best STM32F7 flight controller for drones on the market. Integrated OSD, power distribution board, output for 6 motors or 4 motors and 2 servos, integrated camera switcher and "power on a switch" function. INAV, Cleanflight, and Betaflight supported. Available at Aliexpress Banggood
- Matek F722-WING Matek F405-WING too weak and you need something with STM32 F7 series CPU? Connect telemetry or SBUS to any serial port you want! F722-WING can have any serial inverted! On top of that, integrated camera switcher, "power on a switch" and 4 ADC inputs so you can connect Vbat, Current, RSSI and analog Pitot meter at the same time! Aliexpress Bangood
- Aikon F4 pretty cool flight controller with almost everything you need on a racing or freestyle drone. Almost, because I2C bus pads are not broken out = you can not connect a magnetometer…
Mamba F405 and F40 4in1 ESC combo
It's amazing how much you can get for $45 these days. For example, surprisingly well made Mamba F405 flight controller and 40A 4-in-1 ESC combo. It might be missing some things comparing to twice-the-price bigger brothers, but for $45 you can not really complain a lot. Surely one the most interesting offers on the market right now!
Get it from Banggood
Holybro Kakute F4 & Tekko32 35A 4-in-1 – my favorite all in one
I will be honest here. For quite a long time I was against 4-in-1 ESC. After getting this all in one I changed my mind. Holybro Kakute F4 & Tekko32 35A 4-in-1 combo is the thing. Good quality, good design, easy to solder and with all serial ports you will need. On top of that, BlHeli_32 ESC telemetry works out of the box. Ah, soft-mounted gyro on top of Kakute F4 is a nice touch. No more those rubber grommets!
Matek F405-Wing – the best choice for airplanes
Probably the best flight controller for airplanes. Created for INAV shines in terms of number of UARTs, built in BECs and overall build quality. The only thing you need extra is a radio receiver, camera, and video transmitter. BEC, OSD, PDB, FC, everything else is just there.
Get it from Banggood
RunCam Eagle 2 Pro FPV camera – best for freestyle
This is my favorite FPV camera as long as drone racing is not required. Amazing colors and light handling. It does not matter if it is light or dark. You can just fly everywhere and always see where you are going. And amazing colors, did I said that already? I think so. Bottom line, this is my first choice when building a new airplane or a drone.
RunCam Swift 2 – best camera for racing
Slightly worse colors than RunCam Eagle 2, but very good light handling and lower latency. Also, FOV is better suited for racing. Currently, I own two of RunCam Swift 2 and do not regret a single cent I've spent on them!
Get it from Banggood
Favorite FPV Antenna – Foxeer Lollipop
In a half year, I've destroyed only one of those small antennas and only because crash was so hard, that SMA connector broke in half on a pigtail. Good quality, good reception. I can recommend them without any problems!
Power Distribution Board – Matek FCHUB-6S
I know it's another Matek on the list I would like to tell you that I have better PDB than FCHUB-6S but I can really not… I use it on 4 of my quadcopters: two 5 inchers, 6 incher and 7 incher. So, another Matek on the list. And no, I was not paid to write it and I paid myself for all those PDBs… eh….
Beitian BN-880 GPS unit with compass
Beitian BN-880 GPS is probably the best value for the price. It might not be small or super light (two boards connected together) but it gets the job done. GPS, Glonass, Beiduo, Galileo and HMC5883l compass. Not all modules might be updated to latest firmware, but still, it's my main choice where weight or size is not the main factor. Currently, I own 6 of them!
Get it from Banggood
- Arduino compatible development boards
- Antenna making equipment
- Wireless receivers, transmitters and wireless development boards
- Other things you might find useful
- Alfa Monster 7-inch freestyle FPV quadcopter
- TBS Source One 7-inch Long Range Cruiser
- Ritewing Mini Drak – ultimate FPV flying wing
- Flybit Flux Freestyle FPV Wing
- Race Day Quads Mach 1 racer with EMAX RS2 2306 and Holybro Kakute F4
- Long Range / Endurance FPV Drone on 7-inch props
- Armattan Rooster Freestyle / Leisure flying drone
- Reptile S800 Sky Shadow FPV Flying Wing
Some of the images used on this page were taken from a manufacturer or a shop web and are used only as a quotation.