Looks like BLHeli team is not wasting their time and is preparing something new for our multirotors. After BLHeli_S, we will also have BLHeli_32.
According to an announcement posted on RCGroups, new software for ESCs (and new ESC of course, since it will not be compatible with current Atmel and SiLabs MCU) will be:
- Running 32-bit MCU, Cortex-M0 at 48MHz (STM32F0 ??). Which, in my opinion, is a very logical step to take. Please remember, that all SiLabs (Silicon Labs) MCU powering most of our ESC, are under the hood old Intels 8051. And please remember that Intel 8051 was created in 1980. 37 years ago…
- There are few places where additional computational performance can be spent. For example:
- Programmable PWM frequency up to 48kHz
- Auto timing for better efficiency
- Programmable brake on stop power, very useful for folding propellers
- Voltage and current limiting
- and more…
ESCs with BLHeli_32 are not available yet, but Airbot already announced Wraith32 Plus (with voltage and current limiting) and Wraith32 Mini (without voltage and current limiting).